Designed specifically for fighting bacterial infections, antibiotics are one of the medical doctors’\ favorite tools for treating many health issues. But there’s another underutilized natural medicine that many doctors don’t tell their patients about – oregano oil.
When it comes to preventing and treating infections, oil of oregano is proven to be just as effective as some antibiotics. Plus, oregano oil is unlikely to cause many of the harmful side effects associated with antibiotic overuse including antibiotic resistance and poor gut health due to destruction of beneficial probiotic gut bacteria, decreased vitamin absorption, and leaky gut syndrome.
As you’ll learn, oil of oregano benefits extend beyond just controlling infections. Other conditions that oregano oil can help manage include:
- Athlete’s foot or toenail fungus
- Common colds
- Earaches or toothaches
- Digestive problems such as heartburn and SIBO (small intestine bacterial overgrowth)
Every home should have a bottle of oregano oil
Oregano oil is derived from the flowers and leaves of wild oregano plant. It is a potent antimicrobial agent that effectively fights off infections. Because of its antibacterial, antifungal and antiviral properties, the oregano oil has a wide range of uses and health benefits.
Oregano oil contains two powerful compounds called carvacrol and thymol, both of which have been shown in studies to have strong antibacterial and antifungal properties.
Carvacrol found in the oil of oregano is so potent that it has been the focus of over 800 studies referenced in PubMed, the world’s No. 1 database for scientific evidence-based literature. To give you a sense how potent and multi-functional carvacrol is it has been shown in studies to help reduce or reverse some of these common health issues:
- Bacterial infections
- Fungal infections
- Candida infection
The frequent use of antibiotics can be dangerous because they don’t only kill bacteria that are responsible for infections, they also kill good bacteria that we need for optimal health. Moreover, antibiotics are very commonly prescribed, and often for conditions in which they have no use, such as viral infections.
The benefits of oregano oil
Oregano oil is effective in treating a myriad of conditions, some of which include, colds/flu, lung conditions (asthma, pneumonia, bronchitis, sinusitis), arthritis, animal bites, candida, ear infections, rashes, giardia, sore throat, tuberculosis, and diarrhea just to name a few.
- It can destroy organisms that contribute to the development of skin infections and problems with digestion, urinary, bladder, and food poisoning.
- It strengthens the immune system.
- It increases the connection and flexibility of muscles.
- It improves respiratory health. Puffs of oil will help your breathing in cases of shortness of breath or pulmonary disease.
- It can be used for skin conditions like athletes foot, acne and dandruff.
- Oregano oil can also help cold sores, joint pain, and muscle aches.
How to use Oregano oil
Oregano oil can be used topically, diffused or taken internally (only if it’s 100 percent therapeutic grade oil).
1. Add 2-3 drops of oregano oil to a diffuser or vaporizer, and inhale deeply to relieve nasal congestion and lung infections.
2. Add 2-3 drops of oregano oil in a glass of water and drink to relieve a sore throat.
3. Mix -3 drops of oregano oil with small amount of coconut oil or aloe vera gel, and apply on acne, cold sores, nail fungus, shingles or psoriasis skin condition. Do not use oregano oil on broken or sensitive skin as it may burn. Use a clean cotton pad with every application to avoid spreading the bacteria.
4. Mix same parts of oregano oil and organic olive oil and apply to aches, sore muscles, and backaches for relief.
5. Add 3-4 drops of oregano oil in a glass of water and drink 2-3 times a day before meals to boost your immune system when you’re feeling under the weather.
6. Add 1 drop of oregano oil on your toothbrush with toothpaste, for killing bacteria that cause bad breath.
How to kill parasites or fight infections with oregano oil
Add 3-4 drops of 100 percent therapeutic grade oregano oil in a glass of water and drink 2-3 times a day before meals. For some people, these few drops may cause a little burning sensation in the mouth. Lower the number of drops if you cannot handle it.
You should use this for up to 14 days (but not less than 5-7 days) to kill parasites or fight infections. Take a 7-day break, and continue another 14 days if necessary. Oregano oil is so potent that it must not be taken on a long-term basis.
The advantage of natural antibiotics is that they don’t produce any side effects as they do not destroy the good bacteria, thus can only improve your gut flora health.